Tuesday, November 8, 2011

The Front Porch

Sitting there with sleepy eyes
They wait together for the sun to rise
Tender lovers old woman, old man
In the chill of dawn they are holding hands

They have a small cabin way out in the woods
Here they live because life is good
The front porch faces directly east
Where they observe daily all kinds of beast

But they faced it that way for in their last days
They knew they would rock and watch the sun’s rays
Drinking their coffee they look across their land
And gently they take each other’s hand

“I love you,” he says, “I know that you do…”
She says, “Do you know I love you too?”
Sweetly they smile old woman, old man
After all these years still holding hands

By: Allen Bennett

2 comments:

  1. How sweet! I can see the old woman and old man holding hands still in love. Great poem!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that you have us on the porch of a cabin. Just where I want to be.

    Love,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete